A blocked sink can be a major inconvenience, and it’s important to address the issue as soon as possible. Fortunately, unblocking a sink is a relatively easy task that can often be done with just a few household tools. Here’s how to do it:
- Gather your tools. You’ll need a plunger, a pair of gloves, and a bucket. If the blockage is particularly stubborn, you may also need a pair of pliers or a pipe wrench.
- Put on your gloves. Since you’ll be dealing with water and potentially dirty pipes, it’s a good idea to protect your hands with gloves.
- Clear the area around the sink. Make sure that there’s plenty of space around the sink so that you can easily access it and work on it.
- Remove any visible debris. Before you try using a plunger, take a look down the drain to see if there is any visible debris that you can easily remove. This might include food scraps, hair, or other small objects.
- Use a plunger. Place the plunger over the drain and push down firmly several times. This should help to loosen any blockages and allow the water to drain more easily. If the plunger doesn’t work, you can try using a pipe wrench or pliers to loosen any clogs.
- Pour hot water down the drain. Once you’ve removed the blockage, pour a kettle of hot water down the drain to flush away any remaining debris. This will help to ensure that the sink stays clear and unblocked.
If you’ve tried all of these steps and your sink is still blocked, it may be time to call a plumber. A professional will have the tools and expertise to thoroughly unblock your sink and get it working properly again.